03 February 2008

barack my world

i've grown cynical with age. it's true. it started gradually. the explosion occurred when my thai host father woke me up to watch fox news, depicting the dawn of bush's second term. the rallies. everything. gone to waste. and 2 trillion dollars later, the united states is still present in iraq. my cynicism protected my core from becoming passionate about things. protected me from the horror of protesting the war, watching the bombing begin and attending the funeral of a friend who died in bagdad. my disenfranchisement with the united states was about self-preservation.

watching protests in turkey, discussing politics in tibet, and remembering the things that are unique about the united states excited me about coming back in time for the election. however, as soon as i got back, i've been underwhelmed. not unpleased, just not willing to proselytize for any candidates. the cynicism, still palpable, took a blow yesterday. after waiting in line for 2 hours with the most diverse crowd i've seen thus far in minnesota, jenell and i took our seats in the last row of the target center. small kids, adults, old ladies, all colors, all shades. i wonder if any other campaign has the ability to draw that kind of crowd. where gay and straight and black and white are discussed along side with the importance of education and healthcare. "OUR children, not THOSE children." it became goosebumpy. sharing the story of the his first day in washington, opening his desk, reading the names carved into the wood in the top drawer and writing his own beneath paul wellstone's. though no candidate is perfect, being a part of a 15,000+ audience for "change" was awe-inspiring. the walk back to the parking garage was a dream-like combination of minnesota nice and liberal elation. i think the little green bus is driving by. and i am going to get on.

p.s. i recognize this picture to be ridiculous. and i LOVE it.

3 comments:

E. said...

I'm so jealous that you got to see him speak. I was also surprised how quickly i left the circle of cynics and hopped on the barack bandwagon, but i've been listening to his podcasts since i was in Japan last fall and i have to say, he just gets me excited and makes me at least slightly willing to believe that things can get better.

i'm also shocked about the people that the Obama campaign brings together. I donated money to the campaign last week as part of a matched donation and this was the message i got from the other donor:

Hi Emily, This campaign has been so exciting. I am 62 years old and this is the first time,since John Kennedy, that I have been inspired to help nominate a candidate. Change is in the air. Together we can do this.

Ben said...

Isn't the optimism a refreshing change? It wouldn't take much for my cynicism to return (were Obama to lose I think it would shoot right past any level I have known) but for now I'm just enjoying being excited about something.

Jon Brown said...

Right before I left the US I went to a 2006 Congressional rally where I got to see and hear Bill Clinton speak. Afterward I got to shake is hand. Walking back to my car I think I had that exact same quasi-blissful moment among the similarly inspired and like minded folks.